Psoriasis is an inflammatory, chronic, autoimmune skin condition that results in red crusty patches covered with white flakes. The skin patches usually occur over elbows, knees, back and scalp, though psoriasis can affect other parts of the body as well. These patches can be itchy and sore as well.
Types Of Psoriasis
Broadly, there are several types of psoriasis,
- Plaque psoriasis is the most common type affecting elbows, knees, lower back and scalp.
- Guttate psoriasis is the next most common type, which occurs as small red spots on the limbs and trunk of the body. This has a tendency to occur in younger adults or during childhood.
- Flexural or Inverse psoriasis occurs in the folds of the skin like armpits, groin and under the breast. They are very red, itchy and appear smooth.
- Nail psoriasis, Pustular psoriasis and Scalp psoriasis are other types which are common.
- Psoriatic arthritis is a severe form of psoriasis which affects almost all the major joints leading to severe pain and disability. It affects 30 percent of people suffering from psoriasis.
How does Homeopathy Help in Psoriasis Treatment?
The standard form of treatment for psoriasis is application of topical ointments and lotions, which primarily contain steroids and retinoids. UV light therapy along with oral medication all work at a superficial level and reduce cell turnover to remove flakes from the skin. In severe cases, steroid injections maybe given for psoriatic arthritis. It is important to note that these medications can have side effects if used for a long term and can only put psoriasis into a state of remission, but not cure.
Homeopathy brings hope for psoriasis. This alternative form of medication believes in treating the disorder right from the root and is holistic in approach.
Since the immune system plays a vital role in this condition, homeopathy which can strengthen the defense system helps in not just palliating, but curing psoriasis. Homeopathy considers the whole patient as an individual taking into account their environment, the person’s temperament and other symptoms. With minimal and potentized doses of medications, the immune system becomes strong enough to identify its own body cells and slowly the auto-immunity settles down.