It is one of the most common condition of young patients come with to our clinic.Acne is a condition occurring due to blocking of the hair follicles with oil and dead skin cells. This results in the formation of white heads, black heads, red pimples, pustular pimples and sometimes cysts and nodules. They build up under the skin and plug the skin pores and follicular openings leading to different types of acne.
Causes Of Acne
- Excess oil production
- Clogging of hair follicles by oil and dead skin cells
- Exccess activity of androgen hormones
- Hot and humid climate
- Medications that contain androgen, lithium, OCP’s etc
- Cosmetics that are greasy or oil based
Why acne should be treated?
Acne affects the mental health causing depression, anxiety and low self esteem.Acne is sometimes painful and gets infected by the bacteria on the skin, causing pus.Acne can leave scars and pigmentation on the skin if not treated on time or left untreated
- Topical medications like benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, adapalene will help in reducing these lesions.
- Chemical peels- these will help in cleaning the plug and thereby Faster clearance off an acne. Feels also help to put excessive sebum production in control. Example- salicylic acid, Jessener’s peel ,glycolic acid etc.
Moderate and severe acne should be treated with proper topical applications with oral medications, chemical peels and lasers Under proper guidance of doctors.
A combination of different treatment modalities always gives you the best results.
Complications of Acne
If you are not taking treatment for your acne, then be ready to develop its complications as well!
Two most dreaded after effects of acne include:
- Acne scars
Acne scars – Irregularities in the skin surface that are seen as holes or depressions.
Types of scars-
- Mild scars
- Superficial scars
- Rolling scars
- Ice prick scars
- Hypertrophic Scars
- Atrophic scars